Manfred - ASG Bidding Process Starting in 2017 (Orioles Related)

TonySoprano

"One of the things that I am going to try to do with All-Star Games is -- and we'll make some announcements in the relatively short-term -- I am looking to be in more of a competitive-bidding, Super Bowl-awarding-type mode, as opposed to [saying], `You know, I think Chicago is a good idea,'" he replied.

Manfred did not specify how that bidding would work. However, sources say that rather than choosing cities based on which league they're in, All-Star Game hosts will be chosen in the future based on the merits of the city and ballpark, and which team and city can produce the best "All-Star experience." But the process will be complicated, at least initially, by other factors.

"In getting all these ballparks built, we made a lot of promises to cities about getting All-Star Games," Selig said at last month's owners meetings. So sources say MLB will honor those commitments, meaning that teams such as the Marlins and Nationals, with newer parks that have never hosted an All-Star Game, could jump ahead of more established franchises, such as the Orioles, Indians, Dodgers and Cubs, in the bidding process.

source - ESPN

I couldn't care less about the all star game. Give me a World Series in Baltimore.

I'll take a guaranteed World Series if it means the NL has home field advantage, but still...

I'm fine with the bidding process so long as home field in the World Series goes to something more meaningful than the All-Star game winner.

Guest rochester
I'll take a guaranteed World Series if it means the NL has home field advantage, but still...

I'm fine with the bidding process so long as home field in the World Series goes to something more meaningful than the All-Star game winner.

I agree. I understand that the "home" field in an all-star game isn't analogous to the regular season but the NL gets the last at-bat and the result is for the home field in the Series. Home field can be a tangible advantage.

Archived